Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sept 27th - Lobster opener

We did try our hand on the Opening day for Lobster. Did the Hoop Net thing. We got some good sized legals out near the Santa Monica pier breakwater. We did a easy method of dropping the anchor and letting the hoop nets down from the back of the boat. It worked. Not very easy to put down a lot of nets this way but I only had four nets. So it worked.

Having a bigger boat this is a better way to go I think. Not a likely to pick up a rope on the prop. The many boats I saw out there working the nets were smaller boats and skiffs (and Kayakers) with outboards mostly. They have more room between the prop and the line coming over the side I think.

We used chicken for bait. Zip tied the bait into the nets with an extra weight to help the center hoop with the bait to land strait. Worked OK. Got one crab, several fish and 5 lobsters. 3 shorts were returned to the sea. The two big legal lobsters were really nice sized.

Thomas was out there with us. Hunter C. and I did a lot of the pulling. It went OK. Even though the current and waves were kinda funny and hard on me. We called it early.

KL.

I ate my lobster with dinner the next night.

No comments: