Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day 2009


I enjoyed a 3 day weekend. I pause to salute the soldiers past and present that make our country strong and safe.
I have many family ties to the Navy and the Army. I teach my boys to respect the flag and the freedoms it represents.
To all the Veterans I offer my most humble "Thank you".

"It is the VETERAN, not the preacher, who has given us freedom of religion;
It is the VETERAN, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press;
It is the VETERAN, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech;
It is the VETERAN, not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom to assemble;
It is the VETERAN, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial;
It is the VETERAN, not the politician, who has given us the right to vote;
It is the VETERAN, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag."


The above traces back to the Civil War and I could not find the first author to give proper credit. Feel free to comment if you can point to its earliest author(s).

Keith

No comments: