Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fishing for White Seabass at Santa Barbara Island

On Tuesday the 14th the news was White F'n Open on White Seabass at Santa Barbara Island.

I got my work done and booked a passage on a sport boat. few can take midweek days off and go with me on my boat. If I'm on my boat I'm stressen' a lot of issues. Tide. Bait. Lines. Fuel calcs. Food and galley issues. Navigation. Captain. Gally Guy. Gilligan clearing lines and tying knots. Simple stuff like worrying about the health of the bait and where to anchor up is enough to tax the weekend warrior like me. I wanted to relax and fish!

So with the help of a fellow MDRA member steve Santin we picked the Toronado out of Peirpoint landeing in Long Beach. Had to wait until Friday. Hoping the bite had not ended by then.

Here is my Fish Report for the Friday, 6/17/2011, fishing on the Toronado. Left Pierpoint after 10 pm on Thursday and they went to my favorite target for WSB of SBI. A bit damp and misty but not that this would stop me from being out on the deck to tie up my rigs. I brought 5 rods (and used all 5)

I had an iron w/ glow paint rigged & ready on a spinner for casting as we arrived and was casting hoping for the first fish. Tossed that in the dark as we set up and anchored. The WSB did not show until much later when the chum brought them around around sunrise. I got one on the dropper loop in the middle of the bigger of the first two good runs of bites. It went approx 12 1/2 lbs. Very Tasty.




Then most of the AM they would breeze through and pop up as a 1 or 2 fish hook up. One short woman angler was always under the boat with a squid and got her 3 fish limit. So it was not the casting that mattered.

On the second big run of fish a 14 lb fish got on my line and the crew gaffed it at the corner and pulled in the fish and several lines to be freed up after we got the WSB on the deck.



One guy (Tennyson) worked it with long casts and finesse on the reel to hook and pass off several fish and also landed a 30# fish to take a big healthy jackpot. ($380) I look forward to seeing him again around Avalon for the marlin tournaments this season.

Special Note... The Crew and Deck Hands of the Toronado were helpful and cheery and fun. (some were noting the pleasant change here) I was happy to be on a open charter boat with good people. AND it seemed that the customers were very cooperative. No one tried to "own" the corner and most were very cooperative on over and under to follow the lines. Maybe that was because it was a week day and the folks on this trip were all there because they knew WSB limits had just changed to 3 fish. IE. There were folks on this boat who get it.

End Result... 26 fish for the boat. 2 for me. Fishing was good. water was calm and pleasant. Trip was relaxing and Fun. Fish Wish Granted. It was a very good trip to SBI to get White Seabass.

Tight Lines,

Keith


PS - Steve got blanked on the WSB like I did last year on a simular trip. ouch.

No comments: