Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Weekend on the water... Going to Church

I did go to church. ( Sort of )

From a Facebook post:
Out on Sunday to my version of church. The Church of the Great Outdoors. And I sampled the blood and the flesh of the natural host of gods blessings and bounty. We shared the beauty and wonder of gods handiwork. Really amazing up close experience of gods hand. We had a 12 to 14 foot shark come up and show it's self on one kelp paddy. We all experienced the Awe and Beauty of our lords work. We got close and paced along side of it for a beautiful moment of appreciation and wonder.


When I say a blessing over this fishes' gift of dorado fillets I will praise the lord, our god, for his blessings.  Then I'll likely toast the good cooking talents of Carolene.  And cherish the joyous gathering of friends and family.  So happy to be able to make this mahi mahi our feast.

An overview:

The trip was a two day run out to the marlin grounds (172 & 125) with Matt and Carolene and myself.  Just a casual boat run and fun fishing.  Checked out all the systems and rigging and all that.  I'm happy to say all is ready!


We had a lovely stay overnight at Cat Harbor.  We hung out on the outside anchorage.  We had lots of fine company of big boats around us.  Even got a gift offer of some bait.  (Thank you Marshal)


After we got the Dorado to bite we got to share the paddy with Good Vibrations.  It was a good paddy holding fish... But a big shark came up and shut down the bite.

I now think the big fish that came up was a hammer head shark.  I did not recognize the fin.  I had a small bite taken out of my Dorado before we got it.  I think it had the bite before I hooked it.  But there are reports of big hammer head sharks in the area due to this big El Nino year.

We took our time on the return. We saved on fuel and had a most pleasant return voyage.  Our trip landed us one big quality fish.  Our time in the harbor yealded some bait and a few fun Calico's to catch and release too.  But our target/goal was to scout for marlin and to test out all the gear/systems.

A very successful weekend.


Happy to have

No comments: