Saturday, April 02, 2005

Fish Wish Granted in Halibut Derby

My Fish Wish was for the kids to have fun and to catch something. Little Did I know that Ryan was praying for a Winner!

Ryan landed a 36 pound halibut that puts him on the top of the leader board for day one.

See the photo at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mdranglers/

It is all his fish! I’m such a proud Dad today.

He spooled the reel last night. He tied some of the knots on the leader. He baited the hook.

He set the hook. Reeled it for 7 or 8 min hard. And did it perfectly.

New Trilene 12 pound line. On a TLD5 reel. On an older Saber rod that I have been using since the late 80s.

Fish finally stopped sulking and fighting. Then came up at a steep angle and I got the gaff in it nicely. With one smooth pull got it up and into the boat. From about 8 inches under the water to on the deck flopping hard and flinging slime all over me and the boat.

Love it. At 36 pounds it is the biggest for the whole derby so far. But a Youth contender only.

Time for me to get some sleep for Day two. I got a chance to beat my 12.6 pound halibut maybe. I’m beat. It takes a lot of time and effort to filet up a 12 and 36 pound halibut after all the other stuff.

OH yeah. The Weather was perfect. The boat ran perfect. The bait was perfect. The boys behaved (until back on shore). Plenty of food and drinks. The fishing Cooperated!

It was all perfect.

Ryan will have more fishing memories that are Priceless.

No comments: