Thursday, February 10, 2011

Key To A Happy Marriage-and Life: Think Like an Economist

I am very appreciative of the points made here in this article...

Key To A Happy Marriage-and Life: Think Like an Economist

Now that I have reached 20 years of marriage I feel the need to figure this out as I am sliding into the second 20 years of this roller coaster.  We have traded PMS for Hot flashes.  We have the moodiness of two teen age boys in the house.  Not to mention I have my own issues and a home office and some work that needs to be done. (I'm always behind with more to do than can be done) - but I digress... This article about the economics of married life is good.

I read that article and it got me thinking.  (see above link)
- Recalling the time I was summarily dismissed from doing laundry since I was not doing it right.  I therefore give no credence to her nagging that she has to do the laundry.
- It is unreasonable for "her" to badger "him" (nag/harangue/torment) when having attempted to be participatory and helpful was told NO.

Similarly it can be just the same from "his" viewpoint, when he works and "she" does not, for him to have to do dishes.  Seems fair to him when she does not help him do his dirty work like doing his filing.

Allowing for the economic sharing of the good stuff (Love/sex/intimacy) also needs balance in appreciating how much each in his/her own way each shares the drudgery of respective work and chores.

Life in a partnership is hard.  Hard choices need to be talked about fairly.  If putting it in the framework of Economics is the way to get it to make since to your partner.  Hoot.  Maybe some marital harmony is achieved.

KL.


PS I was alone on my wedding anniversary so I had time to read.  Trish is in Hawaii.  I sent her flowers.  She left me a store bought card. with "Open on Feb 9th" on it.

PPS Special thank you to Ainahua Florals in Kamuela.  The arrangement that was delivered to the The Fairmont Orchid where Trish was staying were lovely.  

1 comment:

Keith L said...

http://www.bnet.com/blog/time-management/the-key-to-a-happy-marriage-and-life-think-like-an-economist/251?tag=mantle_skin;content