Thursday, March 31, 2005

Kenpo and the Kid

Wednesday is the big Kenpo Day at our dojo. Kids spar in there classes and the adult evening class is the most demanding work out of the week and then the adults spar.

I personally like the pace and good sweat of the noon classes. But try to make Weds evening now that I have my own fighting gear for sparing.

Thomas on Wednesday was a little timid in the sparing I saw. Ryan on the other hand was ferocious. He came home after class and was lit up with a new light from within. “I beat him” was the most important words at dinner. He regaled us with stories of how two boys who are more Sr. to him have often made him nervous and frightened were tagged by his new moves. He was so quick off the line and powerful that he got strong tags and awarded the points needed to be a winner. Event soem after class complements from the same kids. Very good feelings.

Key item… During the spring break Ryan talked his way out of some Jr. classes. So Dad made him promise to attend the noon classes I go to to replace the ones he missed. At those adult classes they taught us some new moves and advanced skip kicks that the Jrs. may not know. It was this new Skip Kick that was Ryan’s secret weapon of choice on Wednesday March 30th 2005.

I’m very proud of him. He is eager to spar in the next competition in two weeks.

No comments: